Friday, July 19, 2013

Summary of Personal Goal 1

>>>>> The language story continued (or started depending where you left off).

As you may recall, I laid out 9 three month goals to be completed while I am here in Ecuador. Let me tell you (especially those aspiring Peace Corps volunteers) this is the key to success in the Peace Corps. Set short term goals that you can complete yourself without the help or motivation of others. They have to be ‘DO IT FOR YOURSELF’ Goals. Like learning to cook, getting in shape, reading, writing, painting, etc. I would also suggest things that you just never found time for in the states. Like making the crafts you’ve pinned on Pinterest, cleaning up your Facebook, making a quilt, or studying all the poets of North Ireland. My first goal was to learn Spanish this is my evaluation of the first three months.

Although I had Spanish in both high school and college, I was never a big speaker in class. (Right TabithaJ) Grammar was easy for me but I lacked the discipline to practice more than required to do the necessary homework. When we were placed in Ecuador, I was thrilled but regretted not taking advantage of all the practice opportunities I had in College. When given the language test, I placed at the lowest level in my Omnibus. I used this as motivation and made some hard decisions along the way to get better. Like moving in with a new host family (separate from my wife) for training. 


What have I learned

I learned that self evaluation in language is hard. I could never see improvement in myself, even though I had people telling me I was improving. I think this is because language is more fluid than other goals. For example you can see progress when reading a book, or creating a painting even when working out progress is noticeable. But in language some days it is there and some days it is not. Image if language learning was like weight loss: Some days I would loss 10 pounds and other days I would gain 15. It was and still is a dizzying experience. This is due largely to the fact that the more I learn, the more I realize I what I don't know. 
I have also learned that you have to making a habit of improving. You second language will always be you second language and there is much to learn. This can be frustrating if you expect to be as fluent as a native speaker but exciting if you are a lover of challenges and LIFE-long learning. Luckily, I more to the life-long learning. Em and I both have a tutor to help with this journey.
I learned that books can only take you so far. You have to get out there and make mistakes, look foolish and feel a little uncomfortable. This is the boundaries that books just cannot push. I have also learned the strong power of necessity. When it is important you are willing to make more mistakes, take more risk, and be a little more willing to prepare yourself. 
The last lesson learned was to be realistic and flexible with my work routine. I planned out my language learning day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute and at first I would bet myself up if I was not motivated to work at the scheduled time or get frustrated when I was not learning. I have since then learned to be more relaxed my timetable and setting manageable objectives..


How this translates to other goals

For my next goals, I have a more realistic mind set. I know that these goals are going to require a lifetime of learning but I can start a good habit of learning while here in the Peace Corps. I also I have learned to set realistic consequences. This has help keep me motivated but not self destructive. I have also made a conscience effort to make all goals self motivational and self for filling. While I know that the results of my goals will make some people in my life proud of me or happy with me. These goals are “DO IT FOR YOURSELF” and that’s ok. I am currently finishing up my second goal 'Fitness' and it is going great mainly due to the lessons I learned for my first goal 'Learning Spanish'.

If you are now feeling inspired which i hope you are, I would recommend the Power of Habit and the 4-hour Chef to anyone that is looking for tips on changing their habits or creating new ones. Just remember books can only take you so far.

Always
Eric Aiken

"Education is the progressive realization of our ignorance."
Einstein, Albert


“People never learn anything by being told, they have to find out for themselves.” 
Paulo CoelhoVeronika Decides to Die




No comments:

Post a Comment